Friday, December 12, 2008

Raising Ferris


This is Ben with his new "cool" hairstyle. Not sure where he got the idea, but we aim to please.

A couple weeks ago Ben got into trouble on the bus. The Vice Prince emailed me and said that she would be calling him into her office to talk about the bus rules. I talked to him about it before he went to school so that he would know what was up. Then, I took myself over to the school to sit in on the meeting. The VP walks to Ben's class to get him and when he walks in her office he looks at me and says/does nothing. She ask him if it was okay if I sat in on their chat. He said, "No.". She was alarmed (probably thinking that I beat him) and asked him why and he said, "because she will maybe talk to me about it agaaaaain." So I told him that we wouldn't talk about it anymore and went in the other office to wait. While I am out there several of the different office ladies begin talking to me and telling me how great Ben is and that they think he is so funny and charming. In my mind I am rolling my eyes!! I am thinking to myself....why do all these people know who Ben is? He is in afternoon Kindergarten and school has only been in session for 2.5 months. But whatever, I said thank you, and thought nothing more. The VP comes out with Ben and she looks like it is taking everything in her not to laugh hysterically. She sends him off and he heads out to recess, but not before chatting it up with all the office staff and walking off as if he owns the place. The VP starts laughing and telling me how great, smart, and funny he is, etc. Uh huh...okay.
In the meantime, Ben is having a substitute teacher for the week, and so I go to visit her. She tells me that everything is going great except that Ben tries to run things a bit. I am NOT surprised by this information at all.
Then a couple days later, it was the fundraiser at Chuck E. Cheese. Thank you PTA for advertising this SO well. We head to the Chuckster and Jeremy played the games with Ben. On the way home Jeremy and I were talking and Jeremy mentioned that it was weird how many kids knew Ben. I asked him what he meant and he said that tons of kids knew him, all ages. Big kids, older kids, kids that looked Ben's age, etc. We kinda chuckled and then later Jeremy made the perfect parallel. Ben is Ferris Bueller. It is true! He has everyone snowed, except us. The people at school, church, friends. When we leave the chapel at church we walk past the back row of older folk and they all reach out to him, say hi, and start up conversations. They all know who he is and they all think he is charming with the exception of a few, I'm sure. Kids, for the most part, seem to like him and know who he is. How do they know him, you ask? We have absolutely NO idea. I would start calling him Ferris, but Mr. Questions would ask why.

Raising Ferris is no easy task, but it sure is entertaining!!

5 comments:

madminivanmom said...

The only difference between Ben and Ferris, is that Ferris had his parents snowed too.
Sarah has started knocking on the bathroom door when Emily is in there and says in a deep voice, "It's mom." She thinks she is so clever and funny.

Just Us said...

Even for the little amount of time we got to be around you and your cute family, I was charmed by Ben. Even both my girls were. They still have talked about him and we only babysat him one time. He is a charmer.

Jason said...

I can't believe how big he is getting to be. He will be running the school by the end of the year.

Tana said...

I got here from Michelle B's blog. I just had to say hey.

I never got to meet Ben but seriously, such a great story and I can just imagine him and...who doesn't love Ferris? Well, besides Cameron when he's sick in bed.

Tana said...

Just one more thing. I love your background; color and polka dots. Yummy! Are you still scrapbooking?